SHOW FULL TEXT
Building include a community center with the kitchen Clinic physical therapy space offices in a meditation chapel then one is a spokesman for the Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. He says the new facility will be a major upgrade in the current home originally built in 1885 .
With the new facility , but we are currently planning to construct this resemble more at home and then the current facility.
Last summer , allegations of abuse led Michigan Attorney General Bill should be to issue a statewide audit of the facility that on it resulted in criminal charges for 11 former caregivers state Representative when he drinks of Grand Rapids , says while the $49 million upgrade as a step in the right direction. A new facility . It’s not enough .
I think it’s important for us to remember that you know we can make the pretty , very much. We’re really focused on the culture there and I care veterinary on Panthers those buildings . We will be missing the point .
Meanwhile , one , says the agency has changed care providers and are turning things around.
I think if you look in this past August , the state auditor issued a follow up report and should great progress there as well. The agency as a whole , the coroner Potomac so all the staff were continue to look ahead and work toward the future and building the best facilities and and providing the best possible care for Michigan‘s utterance .
Plans call for the new home to open in 2020. Dana WG view news .
Governor Rick Snyder wants to hike solid waste dumping fees to help pay for environmental cleanup W Judea Sheena Roth reports.
Governor Rick Snyder says the state needs to clean up its thousands of contaminated sites and he says a good way to pay for that is by increasing the cost of dumping garbage in the States landfills Snyder says the money the state makes from the fee increase would go toward strengthening important environmental protection programs we’ve learned out of resources or we will be running out of resources to continue their path. This is a smart investment but Snyder may have an uphill battle . The plan has to be approved by the Republican-controlled legislature Republicans have historically been against increasing the dumping fees and trainer off in Lansing .
The US Senate has approved a bill stemming from reports of abused athletes following the US House passage on Monday WGBH Patrick center has the story.
The US Senate has approved legislation prompted by the sex abuse scandal involving sports Dr. Larry Nasser that requires governing bodies for address Lennox to swiftly report claims of abuse to law force meant the measure was approved Tuesday by voice vote it now heads to President Donald Trump for his signature. The House passed the bill Monday Nasser was sentenced in Michigan last week to up to 175 years in prison . He was accused of sexually assaulting more than 150 women and girls Nasser will be confronted again this week by scores of victims he faces another prison sentence for molesting gymnasts this time there are no leads Michigan club run by an Olympic coach Judge Janice Cunningham has set aside 3 days for roughly 60 people who want to speak or have their statement read in court Patrick center WG view news .
The Michigan International Auto Show roars into town this Thursday a 20-year celebration on tap WGBH Sally Irwin has more.
It has been 20 years since the very first Michigan International Auto Show rolled into Grand Rapids and today. Well , the cars are still the stars of the show , all about style comfort and performance a showstopper . The million dollar motorway show manager Don Baker .
This year we have 16 vehicles all have a price tag of 100,000 or more. These are exotic performance vehicles really extra ordinary vehicles are brought from all over the West Michigan dealers dealers like look at the auto show way back the beginning of last year and say workers are coming that we may be able to feature in a million dollar motorway and share . So we’ve got one more car coming in today , it’s the authority its fighter but each vehicle here is spectacular .
The also kicks off at the charity spectacular Wednesday from 6 to 9. For more information log on to G are auto show.com chillier when WG view news .
Checking sports the Detroit Pistons beat the Cleveland Cavaliers yesterday 1-25 to 1-14 looking at your forecast for today. A slight chance of rain and snow showers . Turning to all rain cloudy skies with a high near 40 degrees . It will be breezy with wind gusts as high as 34mph tonight . There’s a 20% chance of snow showers after 1:00 AM mostly cloudy skies , a low around 25 degrees for Thursday . There is a 40% chance of snow showers cloudy skies with temps falling to around 16 degrees by 5:00 PM then Thursday night , a 40% chance of snow showers . Mostly cloudy skies with a low around 9 degrees . Wind chill values as low as minus 5 I’m Jennifer Moss in the W Judea news .
Throw trying WG view Saturday March 10 footprint the gardens a toast with your NPR hosts as we are the work of our local NPR team with special guest NPR newscaster drags me saying for more information visit w do you.org every day , so.
Live your neighbors make a choice. Eating healthy for paying bills . Not exactly apples and oranges . That’s why Spectrum Health supports the community food , clothes , helping families keep nutritious food on the table and in budget so thrilled . This is easy to bring home as French fries and broccoli can be had for peanuts in specialize in our community so everyone can specialize in living well Spectrum Health inspire innovate .
10-34 in the morning here. Join us on March 10th brunch at the Gardens point it’s gonna be fun with the whole award-winning news team sharing well their joys and certainly some behind the scenes conversations basically putting an angel face so thanks March 10th punch at the Gardens W GPU.org . Well , the deluge of you engage I have made a difference awards recognize excellence aren’t local community bringing accolades to those who share our commitment to offering everyone an opportunity to make a difference and be more those awards have come and gone and well we’ll consider that an annual opportunities will be thinking of who’s qualified for next year , but we will spend some time speaking with those award he’s on the morning show on see what makes them tick and we begin with usually like health and wellness coordinator for senior neighbors individual award under the health again the I have health certainly arts veterans education and health is your wheelhouse . Good morning . Dealing were good morning air given I hope you were surprised and I hope it’s the Lords on some mantle . It was .
It was a very nice and I was very surprised and I have my my 2 boys at home were pretty excited for me to put that out at home to my office.
Well , again 13 people or organizations received and I have made a difference award from WG view public media and yes , your niche health. The individual awards . So let’s if you break a little bit senior neighbors as how you Spaniard day doing what .
I am the health and wellness core at senior neighbors. So I get to coordinate all the healthy eating programs that we offer for older adults in Kent County , and we have a why Brady those programs and I had to make sure that we’re reaching out to as many people in Kent County age 60 and older as we can . Trying to keep them active and engaged and healthier .
Our senior is coming to the , let’s just say to the programs you you’re you’re opening up the red carpet earlier they attending.
Absolutely. We know that it’s , it’s so much easier to age . If you’re healthy . Well , you do it . So we do have a lot of great programs that are available for prevention and a fall management for risk fall prevention programs and some great things that are out there for seniors to stay active and engaged in their communities .
Did go a little deeper into into your life thousands but senior neighbors has served of Kent counties most would still be most vulnerable residents over 60 with this mean Juliet will we.
Do serve any older adults in Kent County age 60 or older , and we do have a wide variety. We’ve got some who are you know pretty active putting pretty independent and come to an exercise class to stay active and engaged , but we also have some who really are in desperate need of our services that we provide . Whether it is because they need housing assistance or they can’t make the utility payments and they’re facing shut-offs or maybe they have someone who’s taking advantage of them , and they don’t have the resources they need to try to get out of the situation .
Some well again your calling to certainly to be instrumental as health and well as coordinator for senior your neighbors. Do you have any guess , putting on the spot any .
Story is anybody’s any smile to the faces that you really and challenges that have been overcome under your leadership. Yeah , what , there is always .
Great story is when you are out there and you’re kind of in the in the trenches , talking to the older dogs that we serve. I teach fall prevention programs and and I have always loved to hear the stories about how the programs help our older adults feel like they can manage those files like they can stay independent longer I I have one group but I can remember where we had a woman who lived out by herself in the country , said several acres and she loved to do her yard work and she was getting more and more concerned because she was afraid she’s gonna fall in the yard and she didn’t have any .